So it’s time for your engagement session and if you’re like me, you’re panicking on what to wear and what you’re going to get your fiance to wear so that you look a bit better than your average day to day leggings and a sweatshirt outfit. Here’s a guide on what to wear for your engagement session, no matter what season or vibe you’re going for:
1. This is a great time to “treat yo self” and buy a new outfit. This tip might not be for everyone but, in my opinion just like your wedding, it’s a time to splurge on your outfit.
2. Wear something comfortable. If you can’t walk or move well in your outfit or shoes, chances are you’re not going to have fun during your session and no one wants that.
3. Be conscious of what each of you are wearing but you don’t have to match- consider coordinating similar color palettes, patterns or textures in your outfits.
4. Consider using colors from your wedding in your outfits. I had someone wear a dress that was the same color that would be in their wedding decor. It’s a simple, less obvious detail but can make for a really cohesive look in all of your photos from engagement to wedding.
5. Ladies: Wearing a white dress is always a great go-to. It doesn’t have to scream bridal but wearing a white dress in your engagement photos is a timeless look that I think is underrated.
6. Gents: A button up shirt is the equivalent to a white dress. This is an easy way to look dressed up but you can pair it with a nice pair of jeans and be a little more casual.
7. Bring a second outfit option to your session. If you’re unsure of what you’re wearing and need a little help, having a back up outfit can be a great option. Also, some of my couples like to have a more dressed up outfit first and then bring a second outfit that is more casual and fun. Bring your favorite matching sneakers, jeans and a t-shirt, your favorite hat, etc.
8. Bring accessories! Bring a hat, jacket, earrings, watch, scarf etc. These items can elevate your look and can also make it more personalized and bring in pops of color or cool textures.
9. If the location of your engagement session includes a bit of hiking or walking, don’t wear heels. Bring a pair of shoes to walk around in and then change when you get to your destination, your feet will thank me and it’s a lot safer too!
10. For Fall & Winter sessions: consider wearing layers, adding a jacket, scarf, hat, or boots/booties.
11. For Spring & Summer sessions: consider fabrics that have movement and are breathable, and wear lighter colors.
12. Consider using websites like The Black Tux or Rent the Runway to get an outfit that won’t break the bank but will have you looking like you just hired a stylist.
13. If you’re still struggling to come up with ideas, look at other engagement photos online, look on Pinterest or ask me!
Here are a few recommended websites: